Taubman Scholars Clinical Trials
Current clinical trials ~ November 2012
Nicholas M. Boulis, M.D., Associate Professor of Neurosurgery, Emory School of Medicine
- Human spinal cord derived neural stem cell transplantation for the treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) – with Eva Feldman, M.D., Ph.D.
Frank C. Brosius III, M.D., Professor of Internal Medicine and Molecular and Integrative Physiology; Chief, Division of Nephrology
- Phase 2 study to evaluate the safety and renal efficacy of LY3009104 in patients with diabetic kidney disease
Ronald J. Buckanovich, M.D., Ph.D., Marvin and Betty Danto Foundation Emerging Scholar; Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine and of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Evaluate metformin, targeting cancer stem cells for the prevention of relapse in patients with stage IIC/III/IV ovarian, fallopian tube, and primary peritoneal cancer
Charles F. Burant, M.D., Ph.D., Robert C. and Veronica Atkins Professor of Metabolism, Professor of Internal Medicine, and Molecular and Integrative Physiology; Director, U-M Metabolomics and Obesity Center
- Identification of phenotypic factors predicting success for weight loss and long-term weight maintenance
- Effects of intensive lifestyle intervention in obese subfertile women on reproductive outcomes
- Cognitive control and obesity
- Impact of metabolic syndrome on the incidence of neuropathy in obese subjects
James J. Dowling, M.D., Ph.D., Frances and Kenneth Eisenberg Emerging Scholar; Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases and of Neurology; Director, Muscular Dystrophy Clinic
- Examine mestinon in centronuclear myopathy patients
- Identify new genes and new mutant alleles responsible for previously unrecognized inherited neurologic disorders
- Document natural history of centronuclear myopathy and define possible targets for treatment
Theodore S. Lawrence, M.D., Ph.D., Isadore Lampe Collegiate Professor of Radiation Oncology; Chair, Department of Radiation Oncology
- Assessment of liver function in patients undergoing hepatic irradiation
- Pilot study of radiation toxicity using MRI-based perfusion
- Pilot study of changes in hepatic function during radiation therapy using hepatobiliary SPECT
- Phase II study of individualized steroactic body radiation therapy (SBRT)
Valerie P. Castle, M.D., Ravitz Foundation Professor and Chair, Department of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases; Professor of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Study of Irinotecan and Bortezomib in children with recurrent/refractory neuroblastoma
Eva L. Feldman. M.D., Ph.D., Russell N. DeJong Professor of Neurology; Director, A. Alfred Taubman Medical Research Institute; Director, Program for Neurology Research & Discovery; Director of Research, ALS Clinic
- Human spinal cord derived neural stem cell transplantation for the treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) – with Dr. Boulis
- Targeting Inflammation Using Salsalate in Type 1 Diabetic Neuropathy
- Surveillance, Natural History, Quality of Care and Outcomes of Diabetes Mellitus with Onset in Childhood and Adolescence
- Impact of the Metabolic Syndrome on Incidence of Neuropathy in Obese Subjects
- Diffusion Tensor Imaging of Sural Nerves in Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
- Neuropathy in Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions & Complications Cohort
- Phase 2b Trial to Assess the Safety and Efficacy of Long lasting synthetic C-Peptide in Type 1 Diabetes Subjects with Mild to Moderate Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
- Phase 2b study to assess the effect of CK-2017357 after 12 weeks of oral dosing in patients with ALS
Max S. Wicha, M.D., Distinguished Professor of Oncology, Professor of Internal Medicine; Director, U-M Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Targeting intrinsically-resistant breast cancer stem cells with Gamma-Secretase inhibitors
- Phase I dose-escalation study of the hedgehog smoothened antagonist GDC-0449 plus pan-notch inhibitor RO4929097 administered in patients with advanced breast cancer
- Dose escalation study of OMP-59R5 in subjects with solid tumors
- Dose escalation study of OMP-54F28 in subjects with solid tumors
- First in-human Phase I trial of the anti-DLL4 antibody (OMP-21M18) targeting cancer in patients with advanced solid tumors
- Phase I study of Akt inhibitor plus Lapatinib in patients with breast cancer
- Phase I study of Repartaxin in patients with breast cancer
- Tositumomab (Bexxar) in patients with myeloma
11 Taubman Scholars named to "Best Doctors in America" list
They're among 493 U-M physicians to receive the honor from their peers
Click here for the list.
Renowned diabetes expert to speak at U-M
David M. Nathan, M.D., of Harvard University to deliver two lectures April 18
Click here for details
U-M offers new early detection prostate cancer test
Research by Taubman Scholar Dr. Arul Chinnaiyan has let to the development of a new test for prostate cancer that is far more accurate than the standard PSA test, the University of Michigan has announced.
Click here to read more.
news & events
New Taubman Prize trophy debuts
The new trophy for the Taubman Prize for Excellence in Translational Medical Research, which was designed in consultation with institute founder Mr. A. Alfred Taubman, was presented at the institute's Oct. 11 symposium. The modern sculpture was created using a novel 3D printing technique.
Drug cuts risk of bone-marrow transplant side effect
Taubman Emerging Scholar Sung Won Choi, M.D., is the lead author of a new study that finds a new way to help prevent graft-vs-host disease in cancer patients receiving bone-marrow transplants.
Study: Two types of cancer stem cells lead to metastasis
Breast cancer stem cells exist in two different states and each state plays a role in how cancer spreads, according to a new study published by Taubman Senior Scholar Dr. Max Wicha.